7-OCT-2020 Wednesday, Emily’s House in Roseville, MN (Dog sitting)
But first we had to play
The water in Pool 2 between the Upper and Lower St Anthony Falls Locks has been lowered to inspect the infrastructure and the Stone Arch Bridge. The last time it was lowered for inspection was in 2008. Daryl, our good friend and Emily’s neighbor, joined us to check it out. Lucky Mary! Two muses!
Not water under the bridge
Time to leave …
Minneapolis and St Paul have to be the most beautiful river cities we have seen in all our travels.
Divide and Conquer
Happenings in the marina
Miss Behaven was pulled
Saint Anthony Falls was the only natural major waterfall on the Upper Mississippi River.
The natural falls were replaced by a concrete overflow spillway after it partially collapsed in 1869. Later, in the 1950s and 1960s, a series of locks and dams was constructed to extend navigation to points upstream.
Geologists say that the falls first appeared roughly 12,000 years ago about 10 miles downstream at the confluence of the glacial River Warren (at present-day Ft. Snelling). Estimates are that the falls were about 180 feet high when the River Warren Falls receded past the confluence of the Mississippi River and the glacial River Warren. Over the succeeding 10,000 years, the falls moved upstream to its present location. The water churning at the bottom of the falls ate away at the soft sandstone, eventually breaking off the hard limestone cap in chunks as the falls receded. From its origins near Fort Snelling, St. Anthony Falls relocated upstream at a rate of about 4 feet per year until it reached its present location in the early 19th century. (Thanks Wiki)